Are spam and unwanted emails flooding your Gmail account? Currently, these undesired communications, such as spam and advertising emails, can take up a lot of space in your Google Drive. In such circumstances, routine cleaning is advised. It is not always possible to open each email and delete it separately, though. Gmail, therefore, enables users to delete emails in bulk by categorizing them as read or unread and other options.
On a PC or tablet, Google officially permits users to delete emails in bulk, but not on a smartphone using the Gmail app. However, there is a method you may use to delete numerous emails at once all from your smartphone. The steps for deleting emails from Gmail on a desktop are similar.
Users of mobile devices only need to open their mail account from a browser and then follow the instructions below.
How to delete emails on Gmail in bulk
- Open Gmail on your desktop or smartphone in any browser.
- In the Inbox section at the top left, click the Down arrow.
- Tap and select all the messages. If you have more than a page of messages, you can click Select all conversations.
- Now click on Delete to move all the messages to the Trash.
- But what if you want to delete messages in bulk from a particular category? Well, the process is similar. After opening Gmail in the browser,
- Select the category page you want to delete messages. You can select from Primary, Promotions, and Social options.
- Now click on the checkbox in the top left of the messages.
- Now select all the messages under that category and click on Delete.
How to delete Gmail unread messages in bulk
If you just want to delete the unread messages in your inbox or in a particular category
- Open Gmail in the browser.
- In the search bar of the inbox or other category type ‘label: unread and press enter. Gmail will display all your unread emails. You can also select just the read message by searching ‘label: read’.
- Now click the ‘Select all box’ on the top side of the messages and then ‘Select all conversations that match this search.’
- Now click on the delete icon on the top to delete all your unread messages.